Sunday, 6 January 2008

Street Art as New Literacy

Luckless


I think that Street Art merits a place as a New Literacy - I think it has always had many of the characteristics of New Literacies, but more so now.

If we think of New Literacies as being some or all of the following - multimodal; able to be changed by people other than the original authors; that it is often replicated - either exactly or showing slight adjustments to suit context; its meanings change over time and when it is used in different contexts - and the text itself can change as the environment interacts with it or as others 'upload' / 'paste-up' /'stencil' (etc) new content near it....As Lankshear and Knobel explain here:

They can “travel” without requiring particular
people to transport them. They can be replicated independently of needing
other human beings to host the replication. The particular kinds of codes employed
in literacy practices are varied and contingent.


williamsburg-on-sea

Make your mind up time


These days more and more street artists are conscious of their work being photographed and being put online. Like Celso. And this sometimes influences the way they DESIGN it, or where they place it - perhaps in places that are often photographed.

Often the streetartists are also very active on sites such as flickr, keeping an eye on the way their own art develops in the street (evidence of other art around it; art being added; the art weathering and going through an aging process) as well as how it is developing meanings in online contexts.
In this sense we see 'the fracturing of space' occurring as part of the whole streetart process.

See how goreb for example can look at all photos tagged with his name on Flickr. He and others can then see how popular the art is, how it is progressing in the environment - and see it as an online gallery like a museum collection. Look.

I love how Banksy has played with Flickr like this:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That stencil graffito on the South Bank predates Flickr by at least 3 years.

Happy New Year, Dr! Hope it's a great one for you and your beloveds. :)

Sorry about the anon thing: Blogger has locked me out.

B

Anonymous said...

Ah thanks B, that's a useful tip off. As you may guess I am preparing a paper for a journal and so would not have liked to get that wrong.
I think in that case the stencil works slightly differently - being placed in a verry popular photo opportunity shot, he draws attention to the art and away from Big Ben etc etc.

DrJoolz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DrJoolz said...

And sorry I am anon too ... Blogger is also trying to stop me postimng as me - DrJoolz and also Happy New Year to you as well!!

Chris B said...

Hey DrJ!
I'm back!
My new blog is at www.sparcoz.wordpress.com

CresceNet said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

CresceNet said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.